Leaders social-media literacy
Six social-media skills every leader needs
Although social-media literacy has not yet found its way into the curricula of business schools and leadership-development programs, the inherent quality of social media is a powerful transformational force that modern leaders could leverage.
In this McKinsey article, the six-dimensional set of skills and organizational capabilities leaders must build to create an enterprise level of media literacy are illustrated.
1. The leader as producer: Creating compelling content
2. The leader as distributor: Leveraging dissemination dynamics
3. The leader as recipient: Managing communication overflow
4. The leader as adviser and orchestrator: Driving strategic social-media utilization
5. The leader as architect: Creating an enabling organizational infrastructure
6. The leader as analyst: Staying ahead of the curve
These capabilities will soon be a critical source of competitive advantage.